Our coursesCheck out our CFD courses
Long before AirShaper was founded, we trained companies on the use of OpenFOAM® to support their CAD and CAE design proces. OpenFOAM® is an open source CFD (computational fluid dynamics) environment to model a.o. external aerodynamics. We decided to distribute our old course material to help people build their own custom simulations.
1. Introduction to CFD
- Pro's and con's of wind tunnel testing & CFD simulations
- Fluid & flow aspects: laminar vs turbulent flow, vortex shedding, ...
- Steps in CFD: modeling, discretization, iteration
2. Introduction to OpenFOAM®
- Challenges of OpenFOAM®: interface, learning curve, link to CAD
- Benefits of OpenFOAM®: community, solvers, parallel computing, ...
- OpenFOAM® workflow: meshing, 3D modeling, post-processing
3. Meshing in OpenFOAM®
- blockMesh & surface feature extraction
- snappyHexMesh steps: castellated mesh, snapping, layers
- Refinement & quality controls
- Base patch types: wall, symmetry, cyclic, ...
- Primitive patch types: fixedValue, zeroGradient, ...
- Derived patch types: inletOutlet, totalPressure, ...
5. Incompressible solvers
- Solver types: laminar/turbulent, steady/unsteady
- Model properties: turbulence model, fluid properties
- Solver properties: numerical schemes, relaxation factors, ...
6. Rotating elements: MRF vs AMI
- Pro's and con's of MRF and AMI
- MRF: cellZones, rotation properties, ...
- AMI: patch creation, AMI interface, ...
7. Force & torque monitoring
- Setup: controlDict, forces function
- Output: file structure
This offering is not approved or endorsed by OpenCFD® Limited, producer and distributor of the OpenFOAM® software via www.openfoam.com, and owner of the OPENFOAM™ and OpenCFD™ trade marks.